Thursday, May 10, 2007

Window Treatments and Area Rugs

So, I realize that I just posted yesterday, but I have to share a thought. Last night, I found myself at Kroger at 9:30pm. I forgot that I had volunteered to make a pasta salad for a ladies auxiliary luncheon at the VFW for today. So, at 9:30, I put a headband in my hair, pulled back the rest in a messy ponytail, threw on a t-shirt and cotton pants, slid on my flip-flops and headed to the store. I walked up and down the aisles, looking as if I had just rolled out of bed, wearing no make-up, and chatting on my cell phone to a friend while searching for a box of pasta. In the produce area, I wrapped up cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, and onion...all the while explaining to my friend the entire loan process I had just experienced....mentioning things like home inspections and closing costs.

When did I turn into a ragged soccer mom with no kids and no soccer?? I mean, just yesterday I was at the Majestic theater with Monica Walters seeing Ghostbusters, and wearing my cute blue jean skirt with my plastic sandals.....Now I'm grocery shopping late at night, discussing mortgages and making salads for a luncheon at the VFW, which might as well be the PTO, and if I had children, very well could have been...........

I wrote a check for my groceries, loaded them into my car, and headed home to start boiling noodles. Thirty has snuck up on me like the bird under my car seat. Remember when all you wanted was the coolest new pair of jeans, or that awesome new cassette tape by someone like Debbie Gibson?? Now I'm wishing for a house of my own and furniture to put in it. New pots and pans and maybe even a cappuccino maker. Window treatments and area rugs. Sometimes I fly through my days without a thought, and when I slow down and breathe while standing in the produce section, Life takes it's big calloused hand and smacks me right across the face.

4 Comments:

Blogger dana0225 said...

I love this entry, you should be a writer. And I'm cracking up that you are in the VFW Women's Auxillary...forget 30, when did you turn 60?? I am the soccer mom with kids and just made cookies yesterday for PTO and there are days I'm in the produce section with Robert screaming and I wish I was in your shoes. You know the old saying....grass is always greener.....so enjoy what you have at that moment!

Anyway, hang in there, everything will work itself out. And like Shelly said, even though I knew the bird story, so funny to read!

4:37 PM  
Blogger dana0225 said...

Oh and I'm completely thrilled you blogged!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

lol - I totally thought this the other day when I was making pasta salad for some function too.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

this was an awesome post. You write really well, my friend, and should do it more often.

loves.

cronk

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home