Thursday, May 24, 2007

In an instant....

I was reading the paper tonight, and came across the college corner. I was informed of a local girl graduating from Columbia College in Chicago (where I always wanted to go for Photography and journalism)....She majored in film/radio or something like that, and was going to be spending the summer working on the production of something from Universal Studios (or another big name) that was being filmed in the city.....The article also stated that she worked for "Screen" magazine.

I don't even know what "Screen" magazine is (a publication about films, I'm sure), but working there sounds cool. In fact, this girl's whole college career and life sounds cool. I don't know her, but for that moment while reading all about her, I wanted to be her. How I would have loved to have told people at my 10 year class reunion that....."Yeah, I just graduated from Columbia with a degree in film, and right now I'm working at Screen magazine...maybe you've heard of it??? It's really fun! I love going to work!"

Now, please don't get me wrong. I love Jason, and our life together. Each day is another opportunity for surprise. But those who know me know how much I LOVE Photography, and how I always wanted to live in the big city........Sometimes I feel like I'm drifting and there really is no "When I grow up, I want to be..."

For that moment when jealousy overwhelmed me while reading about lucky-girl's life, I wished that I could go back to high school and start over. Get better grades, really KNOW what I had wanted to do back then, picked the right school, actually studied in college......shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Now I'm 30 years old, getting ready to start a 2 year program in healthcare, and doubting myself every minute. I guess this is what "When I grow up..." is like for me. And I guess that's okay. Because I am going to study hard. I am going to do well (or at least try), and with the help of my friend Heather (who has already been through this 2 year madness called the Respiratory Therapy Program), I will be great.

And who knows....maybe I will one day be one of those lucky people (like my boyfriend) who jumps out of bed in the morning eager to go to their "dream job".

Photography, for now, will remain a hobby......

In a instant, you're all grown up. And maybe we do get second chances to do better, be better, want better......I guess I'll take advantage of mine....and maybe one day write a book about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home