Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Never Say Never

In High School, I had big hopes and dreams that involved me leaving my home town, finishing college (while still in my twenties!), getting a high-paying advertising or editorial job at some Fortune 500 company in a big city....riding the train to work while reading over stocks and arranging meetings over my cell. Just like you see in the movies....I would never live here...the town I grew up in, the town where my family was....the town where everybody knows everything about everyone.

I've now arrived at my thirties. My sister and her husband live in Minnesota, my brother resides in California, and my little sister and her new husband are getting ready to move to Iowa City. Ironic? A little. Out of four children, the one who claimed never to come back to this town is the one that remains.

I've lived in other places, and I've loved them all. But this IS MY HOME. I love my long-time boyfriend, I love our new house, and I love the life we have built together. I'm still working on my career, and I know I'll get there. And maybe someday down the road, I will live somewhere else. But your life is what you make it, no matter where you live. You make it what you want.....Never say Never. You just might end up back in the town where you grew up, the town where your friends are, the town where everybody knows everything about everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home