Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Last Day of my 28th Year

What's up, peeps? When today is over, I will no longer be 28 years old....crazy how time flies. One more good year in me until the big 3-0....not really looking forward to that....hopefully, life begins at 30. Then I at least have one more year to practice being good at whatever my life is supposed to be. I have no idea what I just said....

So, here's some interesting hospital stories for ya. Enjoy.

I had to do an EKG on this man the other day...I don't know what he's in the hospital for...this was the first time I had ever seen him. I walked into his room and told him that the doctor had ordered an EKG for him....so anyway, he rolled onto his back (he was lying on his side), and I went around the bed to unsnap his gown so I could start putting the stickers on his chest....and as I'm getting the wires ready to hook onto him, I notice that his "little soldier" is standing at attention!! He was a nice man, older, maybe 50s or 60s, I don't remember....very quiet....anyway, it's not like he was shaking it at me or anything, and he didn't say anything, so we just pretended that nothing was out of the ordinary. I hurried up and did the test and left, and when I got back to the office, I was telling my co-workers about it. They were both laughing so hard that they had tears in their eyes. I said that if it had gotten out of hand, I would have just flicked it with my pen or something, which made them laugh even harder. The man had another test scheduled for later that day, which one of the other ladies offered to do, but I said I would do it since she was busy. When I went in there later, I didn't notice anything "standing up", so apparently it was a one time occurance....I referred to him though (to my co-workers) as "The Camper" because he was definetly pitching a tent.

That same day, I had to do an EKG on this really old lady....when I went in her room, the lab girl was in there tring to take blood, and this lady was having a fit. She was kinda out there....mumbled alot, didn't really know what was going on. Anyway, i thought i would help out since the lab girl was struggling to keep her calm. I went to other side of the bed and held her hand and rubbed her head and tried to calm her down so she wouldn't notice the neddle stick....she started freaking out when the girl was just rubbing alcohol on her, so I knew it might be difficult....anyway, I held her as still as i could and was talking to her, and the girl finally drew the blood, so I went to the other side of the bed to get ready to do the EKG...this lady was so out of it...I mean she just mumbled to the point that you didn't even know what she was saying, but she was loud like she really wanted you to hear her....anyway, I start putting the stickers on her and she looks up at me and in plain launguage asks, "Are you Polish?"
"Am I Polish?", I asked her back, "No, I'm German and Irish", i practically screamed, (she's very hard of hearing), not really sure if she even knew what I was saying.
The lab girl was still in the room, and she was kind of snickering as I was holding back laughter.
The lady looked right at me again and says, "I'm German and Polish!"
"Well, that's okay", I said.
"Yea", she said....and then went back to mumbling about being cold.

4 Comments:

Blogger dana0225 said...

totally a scene from ER. I had no idea I was lunching today with someone so important. Happy B-day!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

heeak;lajdflkjadslf, that's hilarious! i don't think i could do that job, jen, i would laugh all the time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JE-EN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU:)

MISS YOU!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Happy Birthday Jenn!!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm peeing my pants... that is too damn funny! I totally had a visual of you flicking it w/ your pen!!!

Happy Birthday sweetie!!!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home